Friday, March 28, 2008

It's a Gas Gas Gas

Inbetween Raku firings, some of the students from Greg's advanced class unloaded the gas kiln last night. Julie, Studio Manager at Clayworks, graciously invited me to help. It's the best way to learn, she believes, and I wholeheartedly agree. Once the door was opened, so many beautiful pieces emerged. I saw several that inspired me to try harder. Some of the glazing & surface decoration on the pieces I held last night were incredible --- something to strive for as I continue in my classes.

As for my pieces, I had some that I liked and others that I didn't. One nice surprise was the last set of cave critter pendants I made. These two were my least favourite, design-wise. I chose to use them to test the bead tree a co-worker gave me at Christmas. My concern was that the wire that holds the beads/pendants wouldn't stand up to a cone 10 firing. But it did. And the designs actually came out looking a lot better than they did going in.



I did learn another lesson here: to make the holes on the pendant just a teensy bit larger. For a while there, I thought the pendants might be forever married to the metal wire. But patience and gentle twisting finally freed these new horses. I had one nice mug come out of the kiln, and a casserole that taught me a passle of lessons on how NOT to glaze (so you won't see that one here.) The rest of the lot was bowls. These were the ones I liked best.



I especially like this one. I fondly call it the Galaxy Bowl. That little hyphen of green entices me.



This piece was hand built. I used the "starburst" stamp I always seem to come back to. It looks different here though because it's curved over the rim. I wasn't too happy with the glaze. Spotted shino. Way too thick. But once it holds some fruit or chips, it will look more appealing.



Lastly, this bowl wasn't part of the bounty from the gas kiln. It's one of three that I made from a cone 6 Earthen Red. You can't tell here but it's larger than what I've been throwing lately. (Finally!) Once again, note my favourite stamp on the sprig.
I applied Ben Gareen to the stamped image, wiped, and then glazed the outside with Mystic Moss because I love the variation it gives. Inside, it's very glossy black. I like this palette. Earthy and organic.



Quite a night. I never got to see what the "big kids" results were with their raku firing. There were many beautiful pieces to be fired and not enough propane. So another firing may be in the offing. I hope so. There was also a mention of a lengthy raku project for McClintock Jr High (where I went YEARS ago) which will include building raku kilns. THAT would be something I'd love to be involved with. We'll see what happens.

The weekend cometh. Whatever your plans, make the most of them!

8 comments:

Ron said...

Hey Becky, Glad the firing was a good one. You're pots came out really nice. I am glad you got to help load and unload. Taking part in the process like that really makes a difference I think. Doug's pots look awesome don't they? Have a good weekend, see ya soon.

Anonymous said...

Becky - couldn't see your pics for some reason. I'll have to try from home. Wish I could have been there Wednesday. I had one teapot in the gas kiln. Got my bamboo handle attached and it looks good.
-Angela

Becky said...

Hi Ron! Yes, Doug's pots are quite something! If he comes to visit, maybe he could do a workshop at Clayworks? If both parties were interested? Your pots are pretty awesome too! Hope your sale this weekend is so successful you'll have to make many many more!

Becky said...

Hi there, Angela, thanks for dropping by. :) Sorry you couldn't get the pix to load. Not sure why that happens from time to time. I'd love to see your teapot? Will you put it in the student show?

Anonymous said...

Becky - finally I can see the pics. Your bowls are beautiful! Good to know your patience for a firing of the gas kiln paid off. You have some very nice glazing. Hopefully you are putting something in the student show! You should. My teapot will be there.

Becky said...

Angela, I'll look for your teapot this weekend! Thank goodness class starts again next week. I'm suffering withdrawal.

Hadn't thought about putting anything in the student show this go 'round. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

A real confidence builder, don`t you agree. Lessons learned and applied. Every firing gets a better. I like your cave critters. Good for you Beck.

Becky said...

Thank you John (<--- another song title, that). I'm all over the map with what I make it seems. guess that's all part of the growth process, yes? Keep coming back to the cave creatures though...and lately, birds. Glad you stopped by.