After the pots were prepped, we prepped the barrels. Resident artist, Minke, showed her prowess at chopping wood.

Elaine & John piled in the sawdust (a special thank you to John's deceased hamsters for donating the aspen bedding materials) and the charcoal (too wet to gather cow pies this week). They loaded all the pieces into "Bentley", "Model T", and the small raku reduction bins we call "Go Carts".
Pieces were hopefully placed and generous helpings of Miracle Gro, copper carb and red iron oxide were sprinkled around all.

After the kindling and chopped wood were added, the barrels were lit.

Minke, Amy & John pay homage to the Kiln Powers that be.

Barrel firings can take a while. While Nick and Cindy had other things to tend to, the rest of us enjoyed baby sitting the barrels in our own way. Elaine pinched some forms...John & Amy made stamps.

The "Go Cart pieces" were the first to finish. while those in "Model T" took longer. We couldn't resist peeking at the pieces as they began to cool.
Here, Minke's lady contemplates her surroundings whilst a flash of green on Elaine's pinch pot (from the seaweed we think) captivates us all. While there was a disappointment here or there, we also discovered many a treasure from Barrel Firing #2. Overall, we had a lot more colour and variety this time around. And we're learning what works and what doesn't. I'll post more pics as I take them but here are three from "The Flock" that I particularly liked.

More to come once I clean, wax & photograph the rest. In the meantime, I need to get back to work for Barrel Firing #3. It's set for August 16th.
5 comments:
you have a way with words. great pics and beautiful writing. Will miss being a part of the next firing as I'll be back in town on the 19th. I wonder if I can add something(s) instead. oh well... It was way fun to be with y'all. thanks for being so kind in inviting me to join. Will post my creations soon.... i'm pleased- for my first firing. Will look for the rest of your pics.
Amy, thank you for the kind words and for sharing the day. It WAS fun wasn't it?!! Certainly you can add as many pieces as you like to the 8/16 firing. But if you'd rather wait, I'm sure we'll do one in late September too...and in October...and in November....
Great post! (I was definitely scooped on this one! :^).
8/16? You folks must have been scheduling after I left. I may be able to do that. What a great weight-loss system: playing with big barrels of fire in the (exact) middle of August. ;^)
I will try to get my reclaimed porcelain worked up by then and make some things from that.
Thanks for letting me crash your shindig again.
Don't forget your very special Parking Lot Sigillata too!
Thanks for the kind words on the post. But y'see I only had one to make. You have 3 new ones on your site!
Looking forward to a barrel firing when we're drinking hot chocolate and reminiscing about how great it was to "do this" when it was warm outside. ;)
Mi shindig es su shindig
I like the idea of firings when it's cooler too. I was at the studio today and it was way too quiet. :( I used murphy's oil and found there's more color on my bowls than I thought. Will post them soon. the more i do this, the more I'm convinced that others like one's pottery better than oneself. For example, yours are simply beautiful!
Post a Comment