All of the classes displayed examples of their work in the same building where the auction had been held the night before. Encaustic painting, Iron, Woodworking, Textiles, Metals, Bookbinding. Letterpress. I saw some remarkable work, but my camera only had eyes for Lower Clay's menagerie. The following is a small representation of all the animals born during our two week session.

Because Cynthia was one of Susan's aides, she didn't have as much time to work on her sculpture. Her dog, here, was barely leather-hard.
BJ, the service dog, stands patiently while Alycia sees each of her classmates' sculptures with her fingertips. Cynthia is in the background.

Alycia's raku rabbit was a class favourite, as was Pam's raku rhino. Directly behind toward the back is on of Elaine's cats.

Paulus Behrensohn and Susan Halls discuss the students' work.

I was particularly impressed with the variety in the sculptures; the various animal choices, the individual styles, the mix of smoke, raku and salt fired finishes.

I have to admit, it was a great feeling seeing Brutus displayed with so many other fine animals. I'll be exploring this technique (both in forming and in finishing) on many future sculptures.

Here is Linda's salt fired horse...

...and her daughter Mary's raku Komodo Dragon.

Pictured left to right, Mary's Pikka, Sunny's goat (which I absolutely love) and Mark's free-form animal.

I'd guess our class created 3 times as many animals as are pictured here. Perhaps more. I know I seldom left the studio before 1AM, many nights later than that. And there was never a night when I was the last to go. We were, to say at the very least, prolific.
My bags already packed & loaded, I stopped by Lower Clay for the last time to say goodbye. It certainly looked a lot different, sans sculptures on banding wheels and classmates intently focused on their work. Sad, really. But it won't look this empty for long. The Glaze Calculation class moved in last night.

Besides, something tells me, I'll see Lower Clay again someday.
7 comments:
what a gifted writer you are.
Those animals are just incredible and those are some mighty fine pictures of them, too. I can't imagine being surrounded by that much talent --Oh wait, I AM.
When you go back can I stow away in your luggage?
Great show. I love the cat and rat standoff.
Great feeling/writing in your "sad" last look.
Love Brutus. My favorite dog of all time was named Brut for Brutus. He was a big Gerrman boxer with a strong love of me and all the children that played with me...and no one else. Safety for me and my friends was NEVER a problem when he was around.
Can not wait to talk about your adventure.
Thanks for the look at all the wonderful sculptures and the great post.
Looks like you had a wonderful time and what a great class for you to take! I can't to see some of the new stuff you'll be making.
Jen
Really enjoyed following your series of posts about Penland, and I am just so impressed by the sculptural animals that people made. It must be very exciting getting together with such an active group of people and seeing all the different ways people work and the possibilities that can open up.
Post a Comment