Thursday, August 20, 2009

Firing at Penland - Day 1

Three types of firings going on at the same time --- madness! Raku...salt....and my particular passion - SMOKE!
The day started early, and since Brutus was the first sculpture to be fired, I was given the honor of constructing the smoking chamber. Using cinder blocks and bricks, I managed to come up with a somewhat decent (though larger than I needed) smoking chamber.

Next, I prepped Brutus for the smoking. Having read many articles about Susan Halls' smoking techniques, I wanted to try clay resist (for lighter areas) on the face and one leg. Here's my Brute, wrapped and ready to go.

I had to borrow some wire and snippers from the Metals class next door to accomplish this. That's one of the things I love most about Penland. Everyone is eager to help you...to give you a tool you might need to create! Wouldn't it be nice if we could carry that spirit of helping one another into our lives every day? Here, Brutus lies peacefully in a nest of shredded newspaper, awaiting the heat of fire and the silken kiss of smoke.

Brutus wasn't the only critter fired today. Elaine's Cat #1 also got a taste of smoke. Results in the smoking chamber weren't ideal, so her cat went into a galvanized tin more suitable to the sculpture's size.

Here is a pic of Elaine's Cat #1. It may undergo further changes tomorrow or back home at Clayworks.

Mary's Pikka sculpture also met the smoking flame.


Susan Halls' dog was slipped with 2 types of terra sig before going into the raku kiln. Here it is...elbow-deep in sawdust. I'll bid on this in tomorrow night's auction. I hold no hope of winning the auction. Too many folks want him. But I'll give it a go.

Long day firing. And I reek of smoky, smoky smoke. But I end the day very pleased. So many wonderful pieces were completed today. And Brutus is all that I hoped...and more. He needs some touching up here and there. But I love him. He's the beginning of a new direction for me.

So many lessons learned. So much to take home with me! My days at Penland -- days I will cherish -- are winding down. But there are so many new possibilities in my future now.

Brutus is the start. Alpha. Perfect.

4 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Wow, I am so excited for you and everyone else there at Penland, what great fun. I can't wait for winter, thanks for posting shots of the block kiln. Brutus is wonderful.

Max said...

Very impressed, your ability with proportion and detail, your talent is, even more, emerging.

Amy said...

wow.... how interesting! gosh, it seems like you've had many adventures while there.

jbf said...

Wow! Your talent is amazing! Brutus looks great and I can't want to hear all about the whole adventure.