Saturday, May 30, 2009

Fred Turns 50 (uh-hem) Something & I Get a Present

Today is Fred's birthday. He had to work. Bummer. But while he was tickling the ivories, I was shopping, and later playing shutterbug with the new Canon A1000 IS he bought me last weekend. One of my shopping stops was Norwoods - my favourite nursery. I didn't do too much damage. But I did pick up some begonias. I plant them every Spring in small pots to line the rock stairs near our driveway. My Oribe birds (seconds) look comfortable nesting there.

Whilst at the nursery, I picked up a couple of Fred's birthday gifts: a bromeliad for the lobby at Concentrix and 10 basil plants.
My man dearly loves pesto so I'm hoping these will be gifts that will keep,on giving through the summer.

Spanky wanted to help plant the aromatic emerald treasures. Callie (pictured inside the storm door) wanted to get in on the fun too, and was quite vocal about it.

But all three of our torties are indoors only. In the end, she was happier getting a good scratch from the birthday boy. Callie's not one who likes getting her claws dirty.

Voila! The Basil Bed. If these 10 look promising, I'll go buy 10 more. Like I said, my man loves pesto. Ten plants will hardly do the trick. Grow, babies, grow!

Still enthralled with my new camera, I was snapping pics of everything in sight. The hydrangea bush fairly begged me to tarry for awhile. This shot is just as I took it, sans enhancement of any kind. (Did I mention I LOVE this new camera?)

I have no idea what this specimen is but they're quite abundant down beside the pond.

For his birthday dinner, Fred chose LaVecchias. Few places in Charlotte do seafood better!

Of course I took my new Canon. (Smitten, smitten, smitten!) I know I looked like a tourist snapping pix of the fish suspended from the ceiling. But one's fifty (uh-hem) something birthday only comes 'round once a year.

A luscious meal and an incredible bottle of wine capped off a great day. And the festivities continue tomorrow when we go to an early morning screening of "Up".

Happy Birthday, Fred! Cheers!

11 comments:

Jen Mecca said...

LaVecchias is one of mine and Joey's favorite places to go celebrate something. Nice choice! Jen

jbf said...

Happy uh-hem birthday, Fred! Great pics Becky.

Jerry said...

Great pics! I believe that your mystery plant is Striped Wintergreen. We saw it all the time when we hiked and it was always a treat!

http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek010608.html

Becky said...

Jen, yes, I need to come up with a lot more special occasions. :)

John, Fred yjanks you & so do I.

Jer, thank you SO much! I was hoping if I put the photo up someone would know what that little plant is. There are tons of them down by the pond. So beautiful!

cindablog said...

Good shots with the new eyebox-machine. The hydrangea is wonderful!

Becky said...

Thanks, Musser! Not quite sure how it happened but was happy when it did. Thinking of you!

Linda Starr said...

Happy Birthday to Fred. What a wonderful photo essay you have shown with your new camera. I too love pesto, nothing better than homemade. Your cat is so funny, I could almost hear her meowing to get out. When I saw the photo of the fish I almost thought it was a ceramic fish - I guess I have a clay encrusted brain.

Amy said...

happy Birthday Fred... and yes, the camera takes wonderful pics! The hydrangea one is my favorite. And the birds... are perfect in flowerpots.

Peter said...

I have just been visiting your Concentrix web site and finding out more about what you both do. Most impressed. Happy birthday to Fred, hey..., 50ish is not so bad (I hope.., as I'm exploring that territory myself!).

Max said...

Great job with the photos, good captures. Belated Birthday Wishes to Fred...Just wait till you pass the 60's mark, and listen to the knees pop not the corks.

Victoria said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.