Monday, May 4, 2009

Barrel Firing Number 9 (Number 9)

Others have posted far better photos than I have from BF #9 which took place on Saturday. See here & here. It was a very long day/ I arrived at Clayworks at 9:20 and didn't leave until 8:30-ish. I would have been there earlier but had to stop at a railroad crossing for an annoyingly long (and slow) train. Drumming my fingers impatiently on the steering wheel as the cars crept by I suddenly found myself enjoying some really magnificent graffitti-adorned cars.
"What the heck?" it finally occurred to me. "I have a camera. I can take some pictures." Of course all of the really good examples had long since headed down the track. But here's one I liked, mainy because I love the Chessie logo. And once I got engaged with the unexpected artwork, that train seemed to race down the track and the gates lifted before I knew it.

There's a lesson in there somewhere I think?

The barrel firing (and the saggar firing) yielded mixed results. We had a lot more breakage than usual this time and --- for the most part --- less colour than we've received in previous firings. Initially I was disappointed. But after cleaning my wee flock, I was surprised to find that all but one of them looked pretty darned good. And I completely avoided the burn marks & crusting that oft happens in the barrel. So much for jumping to conclusions. Another lesson?

Keeping the sawdust burning evenly proved to be a major challenge for this firing. And to top it all off, Mother Nature decided to gift us with a thunderstorm late in the afternoon.

Fortunately, our barrel "Model T" weathered the storm. Most of the pieces inside were already cooling, though you can still see a hot section through the hole on the bottom right.

John manned the raku kiln for three firings on Saturday. (Thank you John!) The third firing made it through the thunderstorm unscathed. So did John's good spirits!

Here are some pieces from the raku kiln. Amy's pendants look great! And I was happy with one of the two raku birds.

Amy's plaques were especially nice and John had some lovely results! They show more on their blogs.

I ended the day by glazing more birds and some cave art test tiles for the gas kiln. Will post pix of the results once the kiln is unloaded at week's end. In the meantime I have a sale to get ready for this weekend..and next. And I'm looking forward to another Barrel Firing/Raku Combo soon.

5 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Sorry about the breakage, could it have been due to the rain? Lovely results in the turquoise (my favorite color) you bird looks so beautiful.

Becky said...

I think it was a combination of several factors?
In all honesty I broke a couple of pots in transit from barrel to table. Many of the flat pieces cracked even before the rain, as did one of Minke's ladies. I'm finding that certain forms fare better in the barrel than others. As for the birds, this was probably one of the best firings for me yet. Sure would like to have gotten the kind of colour you did in your last barrel firing though. :)

Anonymous said...

beautiful blue on that bird piece... i love the graffiti on the trains too although i never could figure out the chessie logo

Becky said...

Hi Jim! Thanks for the good word on the bird. :) That Chessie logo is a newer version I think. But it's still a cat head with paws. Love your work & the pix of your lovely daughter!

doug Fitch said...

Hey Becky, just dropping by to say hello. Nice pic of John. Hope you're well, love from England