Thursday, November 13, 2008

Last Class Raku

Tuesday, Ron and his students held the traditional last class party/raku firing. And, as usual, there was plenty of good food, good drinks and good company. There were also plenty of pots. My favourite moment in the raku process is when the kiln is first opened, revealing the glowing treasures inside.

Already beginning to cool, there were some real beauties that came from that first firing.

My second favourite moment in the raku process is watching how the pieces react during the various stages of the firing. Here, one of my birds enjoys a fountain of flame. (Watch those tailfeathers!)

You can see the glaze a bit better here. It's called Apple Crackle -- the first glaze recipe I tried making on my own. I should have paid attention to the small print in the recipe that cautioned "this is a very tricky glaze to get right." Tricky is certainly one word for it. I've tried this glaze in three previous firings. And while Tuesday night's results were closer to what is considered "right", it's not what I'm seeking. Gotta keep trying.

Which brings me to the part of the raku process that nearly always frustrates me - the final result.

Wow! My good old stand-by glaze, Clear Crackle, crawled like crazy on my wingless dragon. But there was a lovely little gift given too. A teardrop of glaze, caught in mid-drip from the creature's snout.

John called it the "kiln kiss". And I guess that's why, despite my frustration with raku, I'm still intrigued by it. I could get a perfect, crawl-less piece next time out. The Apple Crackle glaze could unexpectedly come out magnificently. But chances are I will never get that perfect teardrop again. I'm hooked.

(Amy is too. You'll find more on her blog.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

that bird is looking pretty good. I want to see both of these LIVE, I cannot quite tell what is happening...looks interesting though.

Anonymous said...

not sure why I posted anon. because I am signed in....but that was me..

Jerry said...

That apple crackle bird may not be what you are looking for, but it looks great to me! It has been so long since I have done raku, I need to push our school to do a workshop. I used to have a trashcan kiln, but after years of disuse and storage in a garage, it became a critter condo. Had to be pitched. You can't beat raku for that instant fix, that's for sure.

Big Al said...

Awesome! I love the apple crackle! What a neat dragon and you are right about the effects. Keep it up!

It is great to see figures. I enjoy the pots but the sculptures are so fascinating.

jbf said...

Has anyone thought that maybe the dragon just had a cold? Sorry, I couldn't resist. :^)

Great pics, Becky! I'm happy with about half of my raku these days, but the good half makes it all worthwhile. Don't give up. Try everything. Enjoy it all. It's not so much the destination as it is the journey.

Becky said...

Anonymous Elaine :) I'll bring the bird in and the anteater/dragon. Even with the glaze crawling off the latter, I like him.

Jer -- thank you. You're right, raku delivers a quick fix. But OMG is it ever frustrating! I kind of like the idea of an old raku kiln becoming a critter condo.

Hiya Al! I'm not so good at throwing pots these days. For some reason it seems best at present to let my inner kid hold reign. Hence the beasties. :)

John...I did, indeed, think the dragon had a runny nose (as well as runny glaze.) And I thank you for mentioning the "kiln kiss" . Made me see the piece in a whole new light. Now that I've waxed the areas where the glaze crawled, I really LIKE this piece. He wasn't what I'd intended (what ever turns out the way you intend it???) but he turned out to be nicer in many ways than I'd imagined.

I'm enjoying the journey.

jbf said...

I forgot to mention that I'm enjoying the journey more with you along.

Linda Starr said...

that apple crackle bird looks like an xmas bird to me, i love the colors.