Saturday, February 5, 2011

Puppy Sitting Saturday

Our Number 1 Son, Spanky - aka the Spankinator - aka Bully Boy - aka Buggles - had surgery last Monday to remove a mast cell tumor. We haven't gotten the pathologist report yet but are optimistic that the results will be good. Thank heavens there are now alternatives to that horrible lampshade "cone of shame" contraption. Spanks isn't overjoyed with his blue bubble collar either. But he takes it, stoically, in stride.

Naturally, we're keeping a close eye on the Spankster (yes, another "aka") so I spent today puppy-sitting. The pain pills he takes are a narcotic so he spent most of the day sleeping while I modeled more porcelain birds. The studio artists at Clayworks are firing the gas kiln on March 19th and I'm making as many pieces as I can before then.

Lately, I've been experimenting with mixing various clay bodies together. The sheep head is a combo of the recycled clay we have at Clayworks and Helios which I use for my birds.

The mule head is a similar combination. Both fired well at ^10. One of these days I'll get around to creating the whole animal. For the moment I'm enjoying the freedom of simply testing.

Since Winter still has a hold on us in the Carolinas, I also spent some time today making birdseed wreaths for non-porcelain avian friends. The first time I tried making these I ended up with a gloppy, gooey mess. But this time I had better success. One of these days I'd love to get a food dehydrator so I could decorate these birdie treats with dried orange and apple slices.

The day is winding down now. It's been a good one, puppy-sitting. Spanky has a good suggestion for what comes next. Pleasant dreams to all & enjoy the rest of your weekend!

5 comments:

Ron said...

I've not seen one of those collars before, that seems a step up from those cone ones.
Hope he gets well soon and that you get a good report back from the dr.
The sheep and mule are great!

Becky said...

Thnx, Ron. Yep...the inflatable collar is so much better.
Thanks for stopping by. Love your year of the Rabbit pieces!

jbf said...

Just catching up reading. Poor Spanks. Hope he's collar-free soon. You know how I feel about those animal heads and now you have captured them well in photos. Keep up the amazing work!

Unknown said...

Becky - what a great picture you capture of Spanky. Giving you those pathetic "oh my gosh - the humiliation" eyes. Makes you want to just squeeze him. I'm glad you are blogging again!

Linda Starr said...

I hope Spankinator gets a good report back, loove the sheep sculpture.