There weren't a lot of pieces in this firing: several birds, a couple of Cindy's cats and a dozen of Elaine's hearts. Two raku firings were on the calendar as well. And another loading of the gas kiln. So Clayworks was a busy place today. Here, John (Raku Chief of the Day) and Elaine position one of her large, coiled pots for further glazing.

Meanwhile, the fire in "Model T's" belly burned bright. (There are birds in the bowels of that barrel so I kept a watchful eye)

Will the cost of face masks go up because of H1N1? (Don't get me started) Good thing we clayworkers keep a stash handy for real health hazards.

No barrel-firing day is complete without a canine visitation. The Dog of the Day was "Pan".

Pan's owner, Nick, rescues endangered plants -- native to NC -- and brings them to Clayworkers who find them new homes. This "jungle" went home with John today. Nick crafts incredible orchid planters, two of which were in today's firing.

Speaking of firings, they all went well. I was delighted to see this bird, fresh from its aluminum foil, saggar nest.

I think that bird will clean up quite nicely. As will all of the pieces that came out of "Model T". Cindy's cat is proof that "Model T" can still get 'er done.

It was a grand day all in all. I had many birds in Model T and the raku kiln today. Amazingly, there wasn't a single one that disappointed me. It's good to have a day like today. And I can't wait for our next barrel firings - on Halloween and November 7th!
3 comments:
Wow another great firing, your Clayworks group always has something going and you know in advance which helps you plan your work. Your bird is really sweet, I love the peach tones.
Great post of a great day. It was fun and I love the results.
Really great what can be done with simple means! Good old "model T", and good for you with what looks to be some really nice work.
Post a Comment