
A testament to the USAF or Dr Strangelove, it stands ready & welcoming, and provides a meeting point for the thousands of people who love the SC State Fair. (And I think ALL of them were there Friday night, including Sis and me!)
It’s become an October tradition for us – Cinder, Wayne and I go every year for the sensory sideshow. We love the smells, the sounds, the kaleidoscope of lights (especially at night).

This year I wanted a corn dog. Not the food itself (I don’t eat beef) but the stick it’s stuck on. Amy uses one as a tool in her handbuilding class and I thought it might come in handy. Sis obliged me by eating one, but it seems not all corndog sticks are created equal. This stick was flat, like a miniature tongue depressor. (Nooo!) To make matters worse, as we strolled past other corn dog diners, I noticed that OTHER corn dogs had the needed shaped stick, rounded with a point at the end. I began to covet one. Eventually we passed a table where – hooray! – three ladies had set aside their finished corn dog stick!!! Emboldened, I stepped up to the table and asked if I might have the desired stick. With typical SC hospitality (and a few odd looks) they awarded me my prize. (Yay!!!) So now I have a new tool for class. It’s a corker, too! THIS stick came from a foot long!
Most of the night was spent throwing money away at the various games. Part of our fair tradition is to win as many stuffed animals as time and budgets allow. It’s fun to win them ( I confess to a fondness for games of chance), but we only keep them for a few weeks. Come Christmastime, we give them to Toys for Tots or another charitable organization. Our haul this weekend wasn’t too shabby.

There may be better ways to spend a Friday night in October, but nothing comes to mind right now. It was a great kick-off to my eagerly-awaited weekend with Cinder, which I ALWAYS enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment