Saturday, March 5, 2011

March Came in Like a Lamb

But I feel more like a Lion. Well, sort of but not really. I do like to think I have the Lion's courage to try new things in clay. But for me, it's almost always a hit or miss proposition unless I'm working on the porcelain birds that I fondly call "the flock". Another 18 went into the bisque kiln today - along with some coiled planters. Also pictured are honey pots and mixing bowl sets made by Kim Marcadis, Studio Assistant Queen at Clayworks.

Another piece went into today's bisque, and it's one that I'm excited about. Fellow potter, and good friend John, threw a pot for me, solely for creating a canvas for "cave art". Typically, I gnarled it up a bit. Atypically, I tried a carving technique I have never used before on my cave art work. Who knows what results this may bring?

Here's a closer look at one of the three "creatures" on the pot.

Other "secrets" on the piece will hopefully benefit from the final glaze and gas firing. Thanks, John, for the gentle nudge to get back to the parietal work.

Lastly, I've been working on a sculptural piece for class. This fellow may well end up in the slurry bucket before all is said and done. I've been sorely tempted to drown him time and time again. But I can't abort him just yet. There's an agony and ecstasy in his birthing process.

Hubby, Fred, says he looks like Dobby the House Elf. (Hmmm. Commercial possibilities?) Nonetheless, it will take more than a wizard's magic to bring this guy to life. And while I may feel like a Lion, I am no Bert Lahr.

We'll see what happens.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

No that he has a head he is looking really good. I don't think you should drowned him.

Becky said...

I guess it is harder to do 'em in when they have eyes. ;) But boy-oh-boy, making that triumvirate of legs and tail - YIKES!

cindablog said...

Like it Like it Like it

Max said...

LOVE your cave art canvas, good partner there too! Of course I would like it! It is not just a pretty pot...

Max said...

By the way, I like your new blog site "look."

Ugly Stepsister aka B. Travell said...

Your blog is great Becky! I look forward to seeing more.

Barbara

Peter said...

So good to find that you are back with your blog again. I have missed you, and was hoping that you were OK. Really interesting what you have done to the pot. The textures are fascinating and remind me of the sea and exciting things that you can find washed up on the beach.

Amy said...

Wow- neat pictures and I like the new blog look! Hope you keep the sculpture piece...