Friday, October 24, 2008

Saturday

You can't turn on the TV or radio anymore without seeing/hearing one political ad after another. And most are negative. So I was grateful for today and a chance to escape to something positive and reaffirming --- clay!

All those test tiles Elaine & I made got the glaze treatment today. We're troubleshooting some problems we had with glazes we mixed recently. We also loaded the ^010 bisque kiln with birdlets, bottles and baby seals. Hopefully these pieces will all emerge as "treats" during Barrel Firing #5. It happens on All Hallows Eve in the Clayworks parking lot - 6PM 'til the witching hour.

I have to say I'm in the mood! And so was Darlene, one of the participants in today's "Muddy Fun" event at Clayworks.

Earlier in the week, this feat of engineering showed up in the yard at Storybrook, right next to the barrels where I store sawdust and cow pies for our barrel firings. I take that as a portent of good things to come.

And sis and I carved this owlish pumpkin last weekend. Our jack-o-lantern may not last 'til Halloween. But it's already out lasted its seeds...which we oiled, salted and toasted to perfection. I'll make more before we fire.

Much fun is in store this Friday for our Halloween BF #5. Rumour has it that "The Bat Girls" will swoop in to put in an appearance.

And while that could be truly scary, it will be a lot more rewarding than sitting in front of the TV, being subjected to endless political messages.

I'm Claydog and I approve this message.

8 comments:

Jerry said...

Oooh, more birds. I've got my eye on those. Keep us posted on them and I'll send an email about possible purchases. Good luck!

Becky said...

Hi, Jer! And I'm watching to see what you do with that birds on the line sketch you made & shared on your site. Bird barter perhaps?

Jerry said...

Well now this is getting exciting! I've got some ideas flying around my head, so I'll see if I can get things started at the studio tonight.

Becky said...

Jer ---( Ha! I like your use of the the verb "flying".) I really look forward to seeing how you translate your sketches to clay!

Big Al said...

Awesome pumpkin. Carving pumpkins was not something we did growing up. My wife introduced me to that and I love to watch her and now the kids work their magic. Awesome stuff. The owl version is great!

I am intrigued with the birds, seals, etc. Such awesome little friends. You should do some larger version!

I love the barrel firings. I get a kick out of reading those posts. Good luck!

Becky said...

Hi Al! I'm working on 3 new jack-o-lanterns for the Halloween barrel firing. (The owl met the mold mush monster and won't be able to make it.) Does your wife roast the pumpkin seeds? They make a tasty treat.

One of these days I'd like to make a really large bird. So far the largest thing I've done is "Spanky."

Thanks for stopping by. THIS barrel firing should produce some fun posts & pix. Come join us!

jbf said...

Can't wait for Friday, it should be fun. I can't wait to see your new batch come out on Saturday.

The bat girls? Watch out!

Jerry said...

Hi Becky,

We were hoping to get a bird as a Christmas present, but I do not think that I will have anything based on the bird motif done by then for barter. I'm not sure if my email is available through my blog. If it is, shoot me an email and we can discuss. Thanks!